MSIV
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
  Delayed Gratification
As if going through college, applying for medical school, and going to classes for more years than you thought you were capable wasn't bad enough, after you're done with all that and your life-long dream of becoming a physician has finally come true, you're faced with residency.

Or, in my case: Internship, then residency.

Why did I choose to pursue an internship before applying for and entering my final residency? Several reasons, actually.

While some may have no cares in the world, may fly through life willy-nilly with the only dream they have left being to complete their training and finally become that attending physician they've always dreamed they'd be - I have other dreams. I've dreamed many things, one of which is the very same as I just "said." Who wouldn't love to have no other obligations except to themselves? I know I would.

However, I've made choices that forever alter my course in life. I have others to concern myself with - my girlfriend being one of them. We are in a very committed relationship and have made the decision to try and stay together throughout our residency training - something that is not easy, but not impossible. We are couples matching, which means we have decided to link our rank lists in such a way that unless both of our lists match exactly with the programs we have ranked, neither of us will match. I don't foresee any problems next week or down the road. However, it is a choice that has altered my training decisions.

When I decided to attend an Osteopathic medical school, I made a committment as well - a committment to follow the recommendations and requirements of the governing body for Osteopathic physicians: the AOA. Currently, the AOA requires a traditional internship for licensure and acknowledgement by the AOA. Thusly, I have applied for an internship this year, and will be re-applying for my final residency next year.

Finally, both my girlfriend and I want to transplant to another part of the country. Since we have both spent some time in the northeastern part of the country and liked it, we've decided to seek our training in that part of the country.

Given this mixture of conditions, we've decided to pursue an internship together and to reapply for our final residencies next year. We both have decided that in order to be together, it is worth delaying our final training.

Besides, what is a year? I've spent 28 of them getting to this point.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Ahhhhh.. 4th year. If the rumours are true, this will be a cake walk. Herein is my online account of my 4th year of medical school - follow with me to see if the hype is true or lie.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
February 2006


Powered by Blogger