MSIV
Saturday, September 03, 2005
  Pelvic night
I worked with Dr. R again last night. Again, had a good night - was pretty busy, but that makes the night go faster, so it was enjoyable all the same. I just think I really like being back in the Emergency Department. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it until now. Ah, fate.

As you can see from the title of the page, last night was pelvic night. I saw 2 patients that I know had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and a couple others that probably do. What fun, eh? What is PID? Bad, that's what. Basically, it is when you have an STD (usually chlamydia or gonorrhea) that travels up the uterus and fallopian tubes growing and causing inflammation the whole way up. Sometimes it is generalized, involving both the uterus, fallopian tubes, and sometimes the abdominal cavity, sometimes it is localized, involving only one of these structures. Never is it good, however. PID can cause bad things like infertility, increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, and sometimes death if it's bad enough. Check out the link to the right (emedicine) for more information. Fortunately, PID can be treated, fairly effectively if caught early enough.

Bottom line: Remember that whoever you are having sex with - you're having sex with them, and everyone they've ever had sex with IN THEIR ENTIRE LIFE! It might be more prudent to just keep your legs closed until you're sure you and your partner are clean. This isn't the time to be messing around with sex. What you don't know can most definitely hurt you!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Ahhhhh.. 4th year. If the rumours are true, this will be a cake walk. Herein is my online account of my 4th year of medical school - follow with me to see if the hype is true or lie.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
February 2006


Powered by Blogger